It has been heartbreaking to watch the devastation of Harvey continue to unfold in Houston and other parts of southern Texas. Unless you are in that area and have a boat, it is easy to feel a little helpless at this time of need. Unfortunately, KCP is not in that area to do any hand-to-hand giving. however, one of the things we can do is donate money to the charities there that are already on the ground and working on disaster relief. Anything helps!
We encourage you to share with your child(ren) what is happening, then take action together to make a difference. Some options or organizations that accept online donations include:
- Food banks – In the aftermath of Harvey, Food banks will be hit hard by people who have lost everything and will need support.
- Red Cross – The American Red Cross is helping the people affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and all across the Gulf coast. Shelters are open, truck loads of supplies are being distributed and volunteers in place.
- Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group – The Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group (CDRG) is a state recognized long-term recovery non-profit group created to address the unmet needs of Coastal Bend area residents affected by disaster. In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, areas of the Coastal Bend will no doubt be devastated and long-term recover needs of the under-served population will emerge.
- Texas Diaper Bank – A well respected organization that has been recognized for supporting the basic needs of babies, children with disabilities, and vulnerable senior citizens.
- Save The Children – Save the Children is offering assistance to Texas state officials, and is working with the Red Cross and local partners to establish Child Friendly Spaces in evacuation shelters in areas that will be disrupted by the storm.
- Coalition for the Homeless – Homeless shelters will absolutely need support in this time of crisis.
- Austin Pets Alive – Assistance for our furry friends.
- SPCA of Texas – Assistance for our furry friends.
- The Salvation Army – As Hurricane Harvey causes widespread damage across Texas, The Salvation Army is ready to provide physical, emotional and spiritual care to survivors and relief workers. Salvation Army disaster teams from across the country are mobilizing and, even after disaster response efforts are over, The Salvation Army will remain in communities impacted by this terrible storm, supporting long-term disaster recovery efforts and providing ongoing assistance to those in need.
- Samaritan’s Purse – Samaritan’s Purse is ready to go with disaster relief trucks and materials outside Dallas and will be moving into the hardest hit areas as soon as they are given the all-clear by the state authorities.